Claim BOGO 50% OFF Our Products & Installation
Get a Quote!

synergetic homes blog


News and Updates

Will the Weatherization Assistance Program get you free windows?

Will the Weatherization Assistance Program get you free windows?

At Synergetic Home Las Vegas, we are frequently asked about the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), an initiative that focuses on energy conservation measures. One question that comes up frequently is whether this program can provide free windows for homeowners and renters. Let’s get into the details and clear the air on this topic.

Weatherization Assistance Program – An Overview

The Weatherization Assistance Program is a federal initiative providing energy conservation measures for dwelling units occupied by families at or below 200% of the federal poverty income guidelines, as defined by the US Office of Management and Budget. With this program there CAN be no direct cost for eligible homeowners and renters to participate. We do not recommend counting on getting approved for the WAP when considering window replacement.

It’s important to note that the owners of eligible rental properties may be required to cover 50% of the cost of capital improvement measures installed under the program.

Energy Conservation Measures Offered

This program covers a variety of energy conservation measures. After a trained energy auditor performs a home energy assessment, your dwelling unit may qualify for several of these measures, including:

  • Air sealing,
  • Energy-efficient light bulbs,
  • Insulation,
  • Low-flow shower heads,
  • Pipe wraps,
  • Solar screens, and
  • Weather-stripping.

One important detail to note is that window replacements are not specifically listed in the standard measures. However, that doesn’t rule out the possibility entirely. The energy conservation measures provided are decided upon following the home energy assessment, which can sometimes reveal the need for more extensive work, such as window replacements, if they’re determined to be significantly energy-inefficient.

How to Apply in Nevada

The Nevada Housing Division (NHD) provides funding to eligible nonprofit agencies, known as Sub-grantees, for this program. If you’re interested, you should reach out directly to the Sub-grantee in your area:

  • Community Services Agency (CSA) services Washoe County – Phone: (775) 786-6023
  • HELP of Southern Nevada services Las Vegas, Henderson, and Southern Rural Clark County – Phone: (702) 795-0575
  • Nevada Rural Housing Authority (NRHA) services Carson City, Churchill County, Douglas County, Lyon County, City of North Las Vegas, Northern Rural Clark County, and Storey County – Phone: Northern: (775) 887-1795, ext. 112 Southern: (702) 660-5136
  • Rural Nevada Development Corporation (RNDC) services counties such as Elko, Esmeralda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, and White Pine – Phone Numbers: (775) 289-8519 or toll-free (866) 404-5204

If you’re interested in applying, visit How to Apply for Weatherization Assistance.

Final Thoughts

Although the Weatherization Assistance Program does not directly offer free windows, it provides a variety of energy conservation measures that can significantly improve the energy efficiency of your home. If windows are identified as a significant energy drain during the home energy assessment, they may be included as part of the improvements. 

Synergetic Home is always here to assist with your home improvement and energy efficiency queries. For more information, don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

Related News and Updates: